Volunteer Befriender – Birmingham
Service: Birmingham Community Services
Time commitment: One hour or more per week, flexible
Are you a sign language user? Do you want to practice your BSL skills? Join our lovely team of volunteer befrienders! Our befriending service supports Deaf people in Birmingham who may feel lonely or isolated and we’re looking for volunteer befrienders with BSL to join our team and help support the community.
What will I be doing?
- You will be matched to a Deaf individual in the community who is feeling isolated
- Visiting the individual in their home
- Providing company, chat over tea/coffee
- Sharing hobbies
- Potentially supporting the individual to join one of our community groups
What availability and time commitment is required?
- To be able to volunteer an hour or so of your time on a weekly basis
- Ability to travel to the individual’s home
What skills and experience do I need?
- British Sign Language ability – from beginners wanting to practice skills to native speakers. We will be sure to match you with a suitable individual
- Great communication skills
- Great people skills
What support and training will I receive?
We will provide a local induction and initial training before you begin your volunteer role. During your induction you will be provided information about our organisation and given access to our policies and procedures. Our volunteer handbook is available with all the information relevant to volunteering within our organisation.
We provide regular support for all volunteers including having a nominated staff member. The nominated staff member will supervise your volunteering and regularly have catch ups with you about your volunteering. You will also receive ongoing training and development whilst volunteering with us.
We aim to reimburse volunteer expenses, including travel expenses whilst volunteering with us.
To apply for this role, please download the application form below and email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or to find out more, please drop us an email or call 0121 246 6100.